Popular Posts

04 August 2012

Typical Spanish dishes: Arroz Cubano

       This dish was one of my all time favorites of Maria Jose's. It is rice with parsley and garlic covered with a sauce that has tomate frito (a fried tomato sauce), beef, white wine, and garlic. A little variation on it would be topping it with a friend egg. And of course, true to my host mom's mentality on lunches (1st plate, 2nd plate, and bread) a small salad was paired with this many times and the wonderful bread to clean the plate with.

Arroz Cubano con ensalada: Cuban rice with salad

Pan : bread from the Pan Man


         Before I left for Christmas vacation, I sat down with Maria Jose and got some of her recipes for these delicious dishes! Arroz cubano was one of them, seeing as it was my favorite. When I returned home for the holidays, I decided to make it for my family. It turned out pretty good (although host mom still always makes it best) although I couldn't find the essential tomate frito so I tried a combination of different tomato pastes and purees. Still a perfection in progress but take a look at the result!



Tomate frito and beef sauce simmering down

Finishing touches!
Maria Jose insisted that when you prepare it, you must pack the rice into a mug (or small cup) first, put that on the plate, and then pour the beef and tomato sauce over it so it looks pretty. So, not to go against the word of a Spanish mom, here's the finished plated food below!



The finished product!
Arroz cubano con tomates y aceite: Cuban rice with tomatoes and olive oil
(And bread, of course)



No comments:

Post a Comment