Popular Posts

02 September 2011

Primer dia de clase

Feliz Septiembre! Today is my third full day in Granada and our first day of class. Yesterday, everyone from API had to go to the CLM (Centro de Lenguas Modernas) to take a placement test to find out what level we need to be in for our intensive language month (since we're early start, we take a intensive month of class and then we start our normal classes). I am very happy because I placed into Nivel 6: Advanced! This is what I needed in order to be in Nivel 7: High Advanced so I can take my Hispanic Studies classes. After the test yesterday, we went on a tour through the Albaicin which is the Moorish/Arab community in Granada. The neighborhood was so cool looking. I also finally saw the Alhambra por la primera vez (first time)! Like so many other things here, it was breath taking. I saw it and all of a sudden I heard myself say 'woah'. The weather was perfecto and the skyline was awesome. Despues, we walked a little further through El Albaicin and then a group of us decided to hike one of the mountains in Granada where there are some people that live in caves. We hiked up and the visto was even better. We met some of the people who live in the caves and they played some music for us. We then went even higher to the highest point in Granada to an iglesia (church) on the hill. Again, 'WOAH'. It was magnificent. I couldn't believe that we were that high up and that we could see all of Granada in one visto.

Finally, we climbed back down the hill and on the way down, I was walking with Parker a little ahead of the group and there was a family right behind/in front of us. Well, we passed the family but the little boy didn't realize that his mom and dad were further back and all of a sudden I feel something on my hand. The boy thought I was his mom and was holding my hand! I was so confused, didn't know what to do, and couldn't stop laughing! He even let go and then did it again! I even tried to move my hand away but he was not having it haha. Finally, he looked up, realized, and looked absolutely terrified. He ran back to his mom and te dijo 'No pasa nada!' (I told him, don't worry about it/it's okay!) The family was chuckling and we couldn't stop laughing. The poor boy looked like he was crying after a minute or two!

After dinner, where we had fries and a pattie that was chicken and pavo (turkey), I went with a group to go to the place where they have the best gelato in Granda (which, was true. It was awesome). Then, we sat on the statue of Cristobal Colon (Christopher Columbus) and chatted for a while.

Class today was good. I like my teachers a lot and there are 5 other people from API in my class (which will only last for this month, but I think there will be API people in my classes in Octubre-Deciembre also). I have class Monday-Friday from 9am-1pm in the Kenia building which is only a 15-20 minute walk from my house (and it's a beautiful walk too).

For lunch today, since Marcela has class from 10-2pm, Maria Jose and I ate after my classes ended at 1. Her granddaughter has been here for a few hours today and yesterday and she is preciosa. Her name is Paula and she is 1 and a half years old. Pre. ci. o. sa. She's the daughter of one of Maria Jose's 4 children (2 boys, 2 girls) and they live right around here so she might be here every once in a while, which I am more than okay with because I am in love with her!

Pues, this is the first weekend we have in Granada and I am so excited! It'll definitely be relaxing and lots of fun to go explore the town and start to know my way around.


Hasta luego! (Until next time!)

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment