Popular Posts

24 September 2011

Senderismo

Hola todos! Okay, so since it has been quite a while since I have filled you in on my seemingly un-real life in Granada I’m going to split up these next few posts so that I don’t write you one big novel at once.


Senderismo is the Spanish word for hiking! On Sunday, September 11, Marcela (my roommate) and I decided to go on a hike. There is a huge book of laminated pages all about different hiking routes and trails in the API office and the API intern, Lydia, recommended a hike through a pueblo called Monachil. Unfortunately, I did not  grab the laminated pages detailing where we should go from the API office (which they more than welcome you to do) so, our senderismo adventure definitely deserves the title of an adventure.  
We looked online for the path to do in Monachil, called Los Cahorros. It had a beautiful picture of a suspension bridge and waterfalls. We decided to try to do this hike so we packed our bags and our bocadillos (basically, the love child of a sandwich and a hoagie) and we were on our way via the Granada public transportation system. The bus took us to the Barrio Monachil (the neighborhood of Monachil), then we walked about 1 km to the Pueblo de Monachil (the town of Monachil). We had a rocky start to our senderismo when we weren’t sure exactly where to go once we got to the pueblo. After asking around for a while, we started walking towards the direction of Los Cahorros. Walking a bit took us to an option of turning up a hill towards a sign that was about a marked hiking path or continuing down the road. All we really wanted to do was do some hiking so we decided to take the path where there was a definite marked sign instead of venturing down the street where we couldn’t see much of anything about to happen.   


The hike ended up being neither a waterfall nor a suspension bridge. The path was called El Camino de la Cuesta aka a very dry mountain. Though it was fun, none the less! Here are some pictures:

 The view from the beginning of our hike


 At the top!


 Another view from the top of a very dry mountain

Then, the next week, we decided to return to Monachil with a few more people and actually find this mysterious waterfall and suspension bridge. Much to my delight, we found them! The hike was much more successful and lots of fun. We went hiking through gorgeous mountains and found many tiny suspension bridges, rivers, and a little canal leading up to the waterfall. The waterfall was gorgeous as was the extremely long suspension bridge. Most of us decided to go swimming in the waterfall which was more like taking the most magnificent ice bath of my life. So. Cold. On our journey, we also ate wild almonds off of an almond tree we found as well as wild higos (figs) which I have discovered are my new favorite fruit.

 A view at one point during the hike
 Yours truly on top of the waterfall and in front of the suspension bridge

Me and Kat going into the waterfall!


 So, so, so, cold


 Our hiking group in front of the waterfall


Overall, my first two times doing senderismo here were loads of fun and many memories made. Since we live surrounded by mountains, there is definitely more hiking to be done. I really want to do part of the Sierra Nevada Mountains at some point. API is awesome with providing information for a plethora of activities to do outside of the classroom. In the office there are thick binders full of sports, hiking, other extracurricular activites, and travel information from API and from former API students about places all throughout Europe. Our program directors here, Carmen and Curra (and the intern Lydia), are so helpful in all aspects of the imagination. Lydia went with me to Barclays with me to open up my first Spanish bank account and Curra/Carmen helped me when I needed to go to the doctor a couple days ago by giving me all the information I needed to specifically ask for in order to fill out my insurance form later. They even offered to come with me if I felt as if I needed someone there. API has been doing a great job with everything. I couldn’t be happier with my choice to study abroad with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment