Popular Posts

15 September 2011

Some changes I've noticed so far


Changes I’ve noticed thus far:

  • ·         Handicap sign is backwards
  • ·         There are practically no nursing homes. Every day I see middle aged children walking up and down the river and through the city with their elderly parents
  • ·         We walk EVERYWHERE
  • ·         We eat bread with EVERYTHING
  • ·         Their lunches are much larger than ours and their dinner are much smaller. Breakfast is not a very big meal either: no eggs, bacon, and bagel here. I have two pieces of toast with butter and jelly every morning with either tea or coffee.
  • ·         They are very conscious here of their use of electricity. They use the sunrise/sunset light when they can and at night, you only keep on one light per room and only if you’re in the room. During the day they have awnings that they put down, over their windows so that the sun’s heat doesn’t come through. They also keep their windows and blinds down to help with this and to keep all the cool air from nighttime in (At night, all the windows in the house are open so the friquito air can come in)
  • ·         For how immaculately clean Granada (and Spain in general) is, you must always be on the lookout for dog poop in the streets/sidewalks. They do not have to pick up after their dogs, so they don’t!
  • ·         The whole siesta thing? It’s a legitimate, recognized thing. If you are out around the city from 230-5/6, there is nothing open. Nothing. Now that I’ve been here for about 2 weeks now, I can understand why. The heat at that time of the day is almost unbearable so everyone goes home for a big lunch and then has siesta time. 


My apologies on the lack of blogging lately! I've been enjoying everything that this wonderful city/country has to offer that I've not been keeping up with the blogging. This weekend, we have an API excursion to San Jose/Cabo de Gata and today (Thursday) we don't have class! It is Dia de la Virgen (Day of the Virgin) pues, we got off today but still have class tomorrow. School is going well and I am excited for October to start because that is when I start my Hispanic Studies classes :) !

I'll play catch up blogging a little later to fill you in on all the amazing adventures I've been having.


Until then!


Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment